Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] music sharing patch #2

On 8/10/05, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 17:02 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Le mercredi 10 août 2005 à 10:50 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> >
> > > So unless there's a technical reason why we need the configure option
> > > and #ifdefs, let's just remove them.  We should probably be moving in
> > > the direction of killing other configure switches like bonobo/dbus, cd
> > > burning, etc too.
> >
> > dbus and cd burning configure switches are there because both depend (or
> > used to depend) on bleeding edge libraries, or on libraries with
> > unstable apis, and it made it easier for testers to just disable the
> > feature if the necessary packages aren't there.
>
> But doesn't Rhythmbox unconditionally need the very latest GTK+ and
> totem for example?  If you're a developer/tester you should be using
> jhbuild which should handle this stuff for you, right?

Except for dbus. It requires a version < 0.30 which is bizare when it
needs the latest totem. So even on FC4 you can't use dbus as it comes
with 0.33 and you need to update your totem (and the various extra
bits it depends upon). Although I did ask about it once before and I
seem to remember the answer to why was that the api was moving too
quickly.

Pete