Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Interface ideas

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:45 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> - A "queue" playlist type that just removes songs as they're played.
>   This would be what you'd use to queue up more than just a few songs.
>   It wouldn't preempt the playing source like the current queue does;
>   you'd have to stop the playing source, select the queue playlist, and
>   press play.

I think this sounds like a good plan, because it makes the queue-source
what it really is a "slightly magical" playlist.

After thinking about it the auto-removing playlist also lets you (by
putting it on shuffle) do a "I don't care about the order, but don't
play any song twice" thing. Which is particularly good for the party
music case. And you could drag a song to the queue to get the "play now"
functionality.

> - There's no way for a new user who discovers the queue sidebar to find
>   out that if they're queueing up five hours of listening material, they'd
>   be better off using a playlist.  Perhaps a "convert queue to playlist"
>   option somewhere obvious to lead the user into thinking "huh, what's a
>   playlist?", then figuring it out.  I don't know where this would go,
>   though.

My suggestion would be to add it to the context menu for queue
items/empty space.

One possible other problem would be what to do when the auto-removing
playlist becomes empty. The logical thing to do would be to stop
playing, but the best thing for parties would be to do the current
queue-as-source thing of playing off another playlist. Not that I'd have
this problem at parties - everyone always want to add their favourite
music, and my playlist has about 20 hours of music by the end of the
night.

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.