Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Evolution of the album cover support in rhythmbox

(besides I don't like much images embedded in id3 tags ;)

Neither do I. I don't like to not know what I have on my disk and with this system, you need to include the cover in each file and not only once for the album. But, this option could easily be added in the futur.

I'd choose the 2nd solution (local cache). The space issue isn't really
a big concern to me, a 50kB cover will already be pretty marge I guess,
so this gives us 5MB for 100 covers, this is not really "huge" by today
hard disk standards. It would probably be a good idea to get the various
apps using covers to agree on a common cover cache directory. There were
some talks about a thumbnail managing standard on freedesktop a while
ago, dunno if there is an "official" spec by now. Anyway, the location
of the cache is a pretty minor detail that can be changed later I guess.

Ok, I also think that it's the best solution. I think I will begin to make it. I need to change the 'cover manager' to choose the covers for all the albums and to store it in a directory.

Btw, there's also
http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/categories.php?func=gd_show_app&gd_app_id=162 who can displays album covers, I dunno if it downloads them every time or if it caches them, might be interesting to have a look at what they do too.

It doesn't cache them, it only download a cover from amazon and store it in /tmp until a new album is played.

I told you having the cover at the bottom left wasn't necessarily a good
idea ;) I'll shut up on that issue anyway, I have bugged you enough with
that.

I don't know if its the best place to put it but I don't see better solutions ;-)