[Rhythmbox-devel] Feature request for rhythmbox

Hi,

I just started using Rythmbox and first I would like to thank the developers for making such a fine program. You can easily tell a lot of serious thought has gone into its design...I really think it has the potential to be the best music player program out there.

Here is a suggestion that would make it even better. Would it be possible to add the "Comment" field as a criteria to the automatically updating playlists? Having this field as a criteria would significantly enhance the utility of the automatic playlists for me, and for many others, I suspect. It would allow users to add keywords to the comment fields of their music files, and have playlists generated with much greater flexibility.

For example, let's take a song like "Lullaby of Broadway" sung by Judy Garland. I have added keywords like the following in the files id3 tag:

Musicals
1930s
Oscar
Harry Warren
New York City
Gold Diggers
Busby Berkeley
Favorites
Upbeat
85BPM
(etc.)

This would allow me to have automatic playlists for each of these keywords, plus whatever else I wanted. This is a capability that music lovers like myself could really make use of. It fits in naturally with the way people often want to listen to music...sometimes I just want to hear songs about New York City, or about Birthdays, or Sad songs, or songs written by Harry Warren, or songs with a certain number of beats per minute, etc. These categories obviously can all overlap, so using the comment field to hold multiple keywords seems like a good solution.

So, in conclusion, adding the "Comment" field as a selection criteria for the automatic playlists would significantly add to the power and flexibility of Rhythmbox without adding complexity to its interface.