Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Supported audio

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 14:18, David SPOOF Hemenway wrote:
> I can't seam to find a list of what formats are supported, just that
> you say it has robust format support, and a couple examples with
> dependencies to get for them.
> Do you support .m4a, aka AAC format?

Presently if you use the Xine player and the monkey-media metadata
loader, the answer is yes (at least I think so, I've never tried it
myself).

Using GStreamer, the answer is that I'm not aware of a GStreamer plugin
to either play back AAC or load metadata from it.  However once one is
written it would be incredibly trivial to get Rhythmbox support for it;
just edit metadata/rb-metadata-gst.c, and add an entry to
rb_metadata_type_map.  Hopefully soon with a bit more work in GStreamer,
that last step won't be necessary, and all you'll need to do is install
a plugin.

>  Please let me know, and/or let me know what might be required to
> add in AAC support, as I and a couple friends may find some time to do
> development over the summer for a few projects.

My personal opinion is that GStreamer is the way of the future, and so
if you want to do AAC, you should get a GStreamer plugin written.  That
said, Xine and monkey-media aren't going away tomorrow or anything, and
people continue to submit changesets for Xine at least, so you are also
free to use/improve those.

Long term though, I really want to get out of having Rhythmbox be in the
format-specific metadata business entirely; i.e. drop monkey-media or
have it be a standalone library that other Xine-based players can use.
No one has yet expressed interest in maintaining monkey-media though.

This is a digitally signed message part