Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Functional DAAP client code

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:25:26PM +1100, David Hammerton wrote:
> Well - I would argue that gnome shouldn't have a standard mDNS library,
> but rather there should be a UNIX one.
>
> The issue is this. Since mDNS binds to a port and so forth, only one
> can be running at a time.
>
> What apple does, which is the correct solution, is they have a daemon
> which runs mDNS, and then a library that talks to the daemon via RPC.
> Apps that want to use Rendevouz use that library.
>
> So anyway, a gnome solution would be half way there.. But it sort of
> makes it hard for desktop interoperability, I would think that a
> solution hosted by FD.O that is independent of any of the toolkits
> (kde, gnome, etc) would be a better solution.

fd.o would love to host this lib. I personally think that it should be
UNIX-wide, not just GNOME-specific. If you break it up into a daemon and
a lib (maybe D-BUS would be a good idea for this sort of thing?), you
wouldn't be doing too badly.

Cheers!
:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,

PGP signature