[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Functional DAAP client code

Hi Scott,

You are correct, the DAAP protocol isn't an open  protocol, however it
is built around one (HTTP) and the proprietary 'data' blocks are quite
well known. In fact, the protocol is somewhat self-documenting - as all
"network opcodes", as you might call them, are reported back with their
plain-english name using a certain GET command, see:

http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/?ContentCodes

DAAP also appears to be built on top of Apples 'DMAP' - which I'm
guessing stands for 'Digital Media Access Protocol'. iPhoto, a photo
app for the mac, also uses DMAP and an extension called DPAP (digital
picture access protocol, I guess). (To share pictures).

I'm also all for an open protocol for Juk/Rythmbox - however I think
you would do well to study the Apple one a bit, because IMO - they "got
it right".
I don't think it would be a good idea to base a share protocol around a
streaming type thing, like you suggest - as there will always be new
music formats, and even new media formats.. Any protocol that "we"
design should probably be able to support any of these.
The key idea behind Apples media protocol is that you simply request
various data you want, normally meta data (what are the songs? give me
the title, artist, album, time and size of this song,.. etc) and then
finally request the song, in its raw audio format (ie, it really just
sends down the MP3 file, or whatever - I guess for AAC it probably does
this after removing DRM from it). All using HTTP GET requests.

Anyhow - back to the discussion about the best API for libopendaap that
will suite both media players. I guess one big decision that I'd like
some input on from both sets of developers is this:
What of threading? Currently my library makes use of threading
specifically for Rendevouz discovery and for file getting, all other
ops are synchronous, which could slow things down if the connection is
slow.  However threading does introduce problems with the various X
GUIs.. Since callbacks will come from a random thread, you can't draw
directly from that thread.

I could make my stuff simply supply FDs or something to be added to a
poll statement (in Glib or whatever there is some g_wait_object or
something, which I make use of for waiting on a pipe)  -  but it may
prove hard for the mDNS implementation I use.

Eli - I missed you last night - I'm on Australian time, so I guess
it'll be hard to contact each other on IRC.

Cheers

David

On 1-Mar-04, at 11:16 PM, Scott Wheeler wrote:

--
David Hammerton
david@craz.net