Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Functional DAAP client code

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 07:16, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> To be honest I'd really be more interested in working with the RhythmBox folks
> on something similar that isn't linked to a proprietary protocol (or at least
> this is my understanding of things -- please correct me if it is in fact an
> "open" standard) that could be shared between RhythmBox, JuK and other Free /
> Open Source software.

I agree, that would be very cool.  But I don't see a reason not to try
to support iTunes sharing too if we can.  We'd probably have to mention
in documentation that it may not always work of course.

> I wouldn't mind supporting iTunes streams but I would prefer to have an open
> alternative (maybe based on SLP and Ogg Vorbis streaming)

Makes sense, although I think it'd be nice to have some codec
negotiation, so if the server only has MP3s, and the client can play
MP3, the server wouldn't have to transcode.

This is a digitally signed message part