Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 01:06:37PM +0300, Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:38:37 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz
> <kuliniew purdue edu> wrote:
> >
> > Does GNOME have anything that lets you schedule things to run at a
> > certain time?  Surely something like that would have more uses than
> > making Rhythmbox into an alarm clock.
>
> As far as I can remember, gnome-system-tools has a nice GUI for cron.

Not that I can see, unless it's hidden somewhere.

The only thing like this that Google seems to know about is
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/gat/, which is for GNOME 1.4 and no
signs that it's still being developed.

I've been thinking about a task scheduler for GNOME, and I'm liking the
idea.  It could expose a Bonobo interface that lets other programs
schedule tasks to run in addition to those the user sets up.  So, if a
Rhythmbox alarm had a "snooze" button, it could schedule a one-time task
in ten minutes to set off the alarm again.

I don't know if you'd want to make it a true front-end for at and cron,
unless there are well-established standard interfaces for using them
across most distributions and OSes.  There might be other fields you'd
want to associate with tasks that aren't supported in crontabs, like an
ID or a description.