Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re; Ratings feedback

Title:
in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
Snip

What this behaviour should mean to Rb:
- Listening a song to the end means I liked listening to it. I'd probably like
listening to it again.
- Skipping it means I don't want to hear it right now. Maybe later, but most
likely not "soon".
- Selecting a song explicitly means I like it a _lot_. I probably wouldn't
mind if it was played three times in a row.
- Adding a song to the library means I like it. I wouldn't add it if I didn't
want it to be played.

What I want Rb to do:
- Make it so I never need to use F12.

Benjamin

I'm responding to Benjamin, but please keep in mind that I've never tried the .7 versions of Rhythmbox, so perhaps I'm just asking for something that already exits...

Basically, I think that the adaptive ratings are a pretty cool thing to have, however I'd probably never rely on it myself.  What Ben has just described seems to me to be an around-about way of self-rating your own music collection.  Only instead of explicitly saying "this song should have a rating of 3 stars", I have to play the song all the way through.  Instead of saying "this song is like, totally rad, it should be 5 stars", I have to explicitly search for the song.  Instead of saying "this song sucks ass, it should be one star", I have to press the 'next' button before the song completes playing.

When I first installed iTunes on my Windows partition, I would explicitly rate each song as I imported it into my collection.  By the time I had my entire collection ripped onto my hard drive, I had about 500 or 600 songs that I *really* liked and that I'd like to listen to no matter what.  There is no way that I could have achieved this listing of bitchin' 4 or 5 star tunes in the amount of time that I did without explicitly rating the songs myself.

The *one* thing that I felt was missing when I loaded my iTunes library into Rhythmbox was the auto-playlist allowing me to only listen to songs that I had rated at 4 or 5 stars.  This is a great feature.  I personally don't care how these ratings are generated, however I fail to see how the auto-ratings can possibly be faster and more accurate than me personally going through my songs and explicitly choosing which ones are rad and which ones suck.  The auto-rating feature seems like a great academic exercise, however it's something that I'd personally probably never rely on.  I already *know* which songs suck.  I shouldn't have to listen to part of them before Rhythmbox knows this.  As a user, I'm much more happy to have the ability to rate my own songs.

What I guess I'm looking for is a reason why adaptive ratings are better than me explicitly telling Rhythmbox what I do and do not like.  To me, the adaptive ratings feature looks like it's an excuse for somebody to write some cool code, instead of something that most users will actually need and understand.  I don't really care if the feature exists, as long as I can tell Rhythmbox what I like myself, and then generate an auto-playlist based upon my own ratings.  Please excuse me if this is something that I can already do... I'm just worried that the adaptive ratings will take the place of my own explicit rating of songs.

Quoting "jorge o. castro" <jorge@whiprush.org>:

Derrick Ashby wrote:

I think the point is that this should be a thing that the user decides for

themselves.  You prefer 3 because you only rip songs you really like.  I

rip

every CD I buy, and I download tracks also: For me 0 is not rated, 1 means

don't like it, 2 means it's OK, 3 means Good, 4 V. Good, 5 Excellent.
Starting at 3 is a waste of 2 stars.  I'd like to be able to turn Adaptive

Rating off altogether.

I've got some feedback on adaptive ratings as well:

I also rate my music in the same way Derrick does. I've been "training"
  my rb since .7 came out and have made some observations:

The IMMS-like ratings doesn't really apply to the 5-star model of
rhythmbox very well. From scanning my xml file a good number of songs
are "2.8" or somesuch. This means for it to be totally accurate partial
stars would need to be implemented, but I'm not sure if that's a good
idea or not. Obviously, the larger a user's collection is, the longer it
will take for the "training" to become effective. During that time the
user might just say "ugh, I've given the thing 3 weeks and it still
thinks all my songs are three stars, this is worthless."

I've been doing some thinking about my music collection and listening
habits, and there are certainly songs I keep around for "completeness",
ie. I like an album and want to keep it in my library for the sake of
completeness, but at the same time it has certain tracks that I don't
care for.

We could probably argue that Derrick's rating is what most users think,
but someone might say "well, if I don't like a song I just don't keep it
at all." Perhaps a more balanced default behaviour is needed, after some
thinking I propose the following:

1) Adaptive listening should be off by default.
2) A user's manual rating should override the automatic rating.
3) All imported songs should start off as 0. If a user skips the song or
it is shown as unfavorable, then it remains at 0.
4) Songs that are shown favorable should start rating up according to
listening habit.

I've come to these conclusions based on feedback from both my experience
and some people that I know. Basically, when I hit "random" on my music
player, I want rhythmbox to choose random songs for me. While I chose
"random", I would argue that most users really mean "pick a good
selection from favorite songs, but mix it up enough to surprise me on
occassion." If you think about it, a "true random" feature isn't much use.

On top of that, I don't know a single person that takes the time to sit
there and spend hours rating all their songs. If anything we tend to
take the lazy way out and say "Well, I'll just sort by play count to
figure out what I want to listen to."

 From a user perspective, we should be letting Rhythmbox do the hard
work and figure out what my favorite songs are, I mean, it's the one
sitting there doing all the playing, it should keep track of the stuff
and figure out a decent random list that will keep me interested.

These are just some observations I've had, I have no idea what the
"optimal solution" is, which is why I propose it be off by default, but
at the same time, from my long experience with XMMS and IMMS, given
adequate training the stuff really does give me a random playlist that
totally rocks.

-jorge