[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Seamless playing

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:24:20AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> As far as I know, seamless playing is a bit more tricky than that: mp3
> files are divided into frames, and the last frame is padded with
> silence, so if you wait until the end of an mp3 file to switch to the
> next one, you'll still get a small gap. (I'm far from being an mp3
> expert, so feel free to flame me if I'm totally wrong here ;)

That silence doesn't necessarily show up in the decode - if the format
contains enough info the decoder could skip padding.  I don't know about
mp3, but I just decoded two Ogg Vorbis files that should play seamless
to raw and looked at the output:  The first file gives valid samples
right to the end, and the next file starts with convincing continuations
of those samples.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44