[Rhythmbox-devel] Seamless playing

... is something I'm going to work on, now that I've got gstreamer 0.7.4
working with rhythmbox 0.7, mostly.

I haven't yet delved into the sources, but from what I gather acquiring
data, decoding and playing to audio device is a completely self
contained task handed to the player backend.

If those backends don't support seamless playback of multiple audio
files (do gstreamer or xine have provisions for this?) I'll have to
split that into a decode to audio samples part and a samples output
part.  Then I could handle the samples in rb independently of the
backends, opening the next file to play ahead of time and switch to the
new sample stream right when the first file finished decoding.

On a somewhat different topic, has anyone thought about making it work
for playing audio with more than two channels?  AFAICS gstreamer
vorbisdec and mad only decode one or two channels anyway, so that's the
limitation...

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44