Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] removable media support [was: ipod support]

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 22:08, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Christophe Fergeau said:
> >
> > But I guess what you want is rhythmbox to handle files on discs which
> > are only plugged from time to time without readding them to the library
> > each time. This will not work.
>
> Right that's what I'm looking for. I have a 200 Gig harddirve that needs
> to get re-imported every time I use rb and its not mounted.

Yeah. Personally, I'm moving to a system where my new external 250GB
hard drive has all my music in both FLAC and Ogg Vorbis format, and my
laptop has some subset of the vorbis.

> Does anybody think it would be worthwhile persuing this issue? Any
> thoughts would be welcome.

Yes.  But it's not a simple problem, at least to do it "right".  Right
now the hack I am using is to have two separate rhythmdb.xml files.
There's a new --rhythmdb-file argument to Rhythmbox which I added as a
debugging aid, but I use it now as a hack for this problem.  Basically
when I'm at home with my external drive plugged into my laptop, I run
rhythmbox --rhythmdb-file=~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb-home.xml
And then when I'm elsewhere like at school or a coffee shop:
rhythmbox --rhythmdb-file=~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb-out.xml

This is obviously not something end-user-friendly though :) Doing it
"right" involves understanding mount points and such, and that starts to
get tricky fast.  Right now Rhythmbox works entirely over GnomeVFS,
which doesn't have any idea about that kind of stuff.  So when you
unmount a drive, that looks exactly to Rhythmbox like all those files
were deleted.

Nautilus might have some code in this area - it likely involves
gnome_vfs_uri_is_local and then using the libc functions to examine
fstab.

And you are right to follow up with this issue on the ipod support
thread - really, the issues with the ipod come up with any kind of
removable mass storage, and we should try to generalize it.

This is a digitally signed message part