Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Update : Download and show albums covers

First, I'd like to say that this stuff looks pretty darn cool :)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:23:01 +0100, Marc Pavot <m pavot laposte net> wrote:
> The problem is that if some covers are not found on amazon, it will
> search them every time you launch rhythmbox and that is a lose of
> bandwith and it uses the CPU for nothing.

It seems to me this could be solved by having some way to mark that
the cover was not found on amazon, and having some method to throttle
these invalid requests. eg. a counter indicating how many times
rhythmbox has been started since the last time you checked amazon.
After n rhythmbox restarts, try to find the cover again. Adjust n
using a 'backoff' algorithm. eg. the first time you can't find it on
amazon, try 10 restarts later. Then try 100 restarts later. Then 1000,
etc. The idea is that the more times you try to find it and it isn't
there, the less likely it is to suddenly show up, so the more likely
it is that your attempt will fail, making the whole thing a waste.
Although I don't know how/when/if amazon updates their cover art...

Have fun,

Pedro