Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] status

This special playlist smells a lot like the Queue idea I was peddling a
few weeks ago.  See item 1) in this posting.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2003-September/msg00067.html

Many ideas for how this might be implemented were floated in the ensuing
thread.

I still think that one of the ways to handle this might be to make the
area occupied by the Source pane modal like Evolution's side-bar.
Start Evolution and imagine that its Shortcuts are Rhythmbox's Source.
Then right-mouse in the Shortcut area and select Add Group.  Name this
group Queue.

Songs would be added to the play play-queue by dragging into the Queue
area.  No buttons would be needed.  If there are songs in the Queue,
the top one is played next.  If the Queue is empty, Rhythmbox works as
it does today.  Once played, a song is deleted from the Queue.

The user scenario I have described is a party.  Guests looking at
Rhythmbox can see which songs are coming up, re-arrange their order,
add their wishes, remove songs they hate, etc.   Everybody is a DJ.

I think the only interface problem with the queue idea is that it
conflicts with the Shuffle selection at the bottom of the interface.
What does it mean if there is a Queue and Shuffle is selected?  Perhaps
it means that rather than FIFO, Rhythmbox treats the Queue as a pot to
make a random selection from, but once played, the song is removed.
Perhaps all we need to do is find a better name than Queue. "Currently
Playing" is not bad although "Coming Up" might be better.

Gisli

--
Gisli Ottarsson <gisli.ottarsson@mscsoftware.com>
MSC.Software