Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rip/Encode for RhythmBox?

Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> Having recently ripped approximately 400 CDs, in the span of a few
> days, I would say suggest that there is no sense in trying to improve
> on the fantastic grip program.

Please tell me you are kidding.  The UI is really bad.  It is one of the
most geek-centric applications I have ever seen.  It is completely
incomprehensible to most users.  I know this because many users tell me
it is incomprehensible.  It requires knowledge of some wacko things
like: FLAC, bladeenc, ID3, CGI, DB, lame, cdparanoia, and /dev/???  ;)
But seriously, why should my users need to know those things, never mind
my mom?

On the other hand.  I think sound-juicer is beautiful.  The UI is clean,
simple, and works great.  You rock Ross.

I would love to see a similar app for burning.

> Perhaps Rhythmbox could be trained to communicate with grip.  Rhythmbox
> could instruct grip where to deposit the encoded files and
> automatically load these files once grip is done.  That would be pretty
> nice and could be quite helpful to the casual user.

I would like to see it integrate in at least two ways: playlist burning
and drag and drop of songs.  It would be nice for it to be a separate
application from rhythmbox.  Is this what you have in mind, Ross (re:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2003-November/msg00232.html)?
  I'd be interested in helping with something like this.

Jon