Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: [Usability]Music player UI

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 16:58, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 15:11, MArk Finlay wrote:
>
> > Personally I would be perfectly happy with this:
> >
> > Radio: 'Applications->Sound & Video->Internet Radio' brings you to the
> > stand along app (net-rhythmbox's radio view). Internet radio makes total
> > sense as a stand alone app because there is very little interaction with
> > other multimedia on the system.
>
> Do other people feel this way too?  I personally like having everything
> related to music playing together.  I often alternate between playing
> iradio and local music, and if I had two separate apps then I'd have to
> have both of them open, each with their own play buttons, UI, etc.  It
> feels saner to just have one Play button.

To me there are many advantages to having a multi-app music 'suite' for
gnome.

First of all it offers much greater flexibility. I'm going to e-mail the
list with some more ideas on how the whole system could work soon.

It allows you(Colin) to create a really great iradio app that will fit
into the greater whole, without worrying too much about what is going on
in other parts of the project. If rhythmbox never gains any development
pace again, we'll still have an iradio app.

In terms of project organisation it means that you can work on iradio,
jorn might hopefully work on the library/player and other people can
work on other parts, and all without stepping on eachothers toes as much
as has been happening.

I think that we've learned that having UI changing like in the old
rhythmbox ui is just evil. I think that it is a lot better to have a few
apps with really clean interfaces, and linkups as appropriate.

But then again, you were asking for other people's oppions so i'll be
quite now and hopefully somone else is still listening.

--
                 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]
    [ Public Key: http://evolvedoo.sf.net/sisobatericomdotnet.asc  ]