Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] monkey-media future

GStreamer should and will do all of this.
But generating a playback pipeline is more code then just calling playback_file
(filename);
What Gnome (and GStreamer, too) really is in need of is a library that
abstracts common multimedia tasks and makes them easy to use in YourApp(tm).
However it needs to still be flexible enough if it wants to support media
players.
The needs for such a lib from my point of view:
- simple API for audio and video playback of anything (files, streams, audio
recording, ...)
- widgets to control the playback or view information about the playback (time
slider and display, video output, ...)
- extensions for this (volume widget, visualization, equalizer and user defined
stuff, buffering for internet streams (?))
- metadata retrieval
(- playlist functionality?)
There's a bunch of things that I think are problematic with the current Bacon
approach (I have never looked at the code though):
- I don't know how easy an abstraction of media frameworks is. Some things
might be solved completely different in different frameworks and you might have
to go along way to mimic the feature bit by bit in another one. I personally
prefer a lib that mimics the GStreamer way (what a surprise, eh? ;)) but bacon
is engineered to work with xine.
- The bacon stuff is a video generalization. So it has a lot of overhead and
bugs from the video part that Rhythmbox doesn't need.
- A lot of the functionality of the current bacon stuff is in libgstplay (at
least for the GStreamer part). There is no need in duplicating those
functionality so I would prefer if those two were merged. Especially from the
bugfixing and release standpoint.
And a last personal point:
- I wanted to test new Gstreamer HEAD functionality in Rb. (That's why I'm
coding it anyway) If there's a lib in between I would have to implement those
features there first and I'm obviously neither a dev of libbacon nor do I know
whether there is a desire to develop against unstable and new features.

So, in short: I think it depends on the scope and design of libbacon if it
makes sense to use it.
A last question: Are there any design docs (I'll take .h files, too) for the
new design somewhere?

Benjamin