Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 11:25, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:

> Wouldn't it make sense then to let Red Hat distribute a libxine (without
> plug-ins that contain patents) and then let Totem for instance pop up a
> dialog saying that it doesn't support the format, but you can check for
> plug-ins that support the format at the xine.sf.net/plug-ins site.
>
> Then "normal" people who don't know about xine or totem, will notice the
> application and easily find out where to download the missing media
> support.

That's something that's possible pretty easily, if we split up xine-lib
to allow that. The main problem would be to identify which plugins are
"free" and which ones are problematic wrt. Copyrights and Patents.

Totem already contains code to warn you if the video or audio isn't
supported. Would just need to add a mention of where to get a
full-fledged version.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault