Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] Show window when not visible

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 14:15, Rached Ben Mustapha wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 19:52, Rached Ben Mustapha wrote:
> [...]
> > Here's attached a slightly different version of the patch that does
> > exactly like gaim : it hides the window if at least some part of it is
> > visible, shows it otherwise. This one may confuse people a bit less :)
>
> Colin, what do you think of this patch ?

Frankly...I am not really happy with the tray icon in general right now.
The topic of the Rhythmbox tray icon has come up before on
usability@gnome.org, and I think that the general consensus was that in
its current form, it was not using the notification area as it was
designed for.

Showing/hiding the Rhythmbox window seems to be pretty much what the
taskbar is for.

To remotely control Rhythmbox, we could have a "Music Player Control"
applet, which could be more powerful, say by having separate
previous/play/next buttons.

See for example Mark McLoughlin's guidelines:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2003-March/msg00039.html

One thing I do want the tray icon for is to display the song title when
it changes - as an option.  I think this is more in line with the
original notification area goals.

Opinions?