Re: GNOME Modulesets in BuildStream - Baby Steps

On Sun, 2017-10-29 at 11:41 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Tristan Van Berkom
<tristan vanberkom codethink co uk> wrote:
Does this sound like a sensible plan ?

Yes. Excellent. :)

Do you want to take responsibility for the 3.27.2 release? That's due
Wednesday, November 15. I guess Javier will be available that week to
help you? That release is currently assigned to Matthias, but I'm
pretty sure he won't object if you take it.

We also have a 3.26.2 due this week, but I figure it's probably better
to experiment with the development release instead. ;)

That is true, and also we dont have the conversions setup to track more
than one branch of GNOME modulesets (currently only converting 3.28 dev
modulesets).

I'm hoping that we can take a different strategy with a converted
BuildStream project than we had with JHBuild, i.e. using git.

I would suggest that we keep a 'gnome-modulesets' git repository where
we always build master of everything, on the master branch, and that we
branch for every stable release.

We can also tag stable releases in such a way that we know that builds
from the gnome-modulesets repo at a given tag, produce exactly the same
results when one attempts to build it elsewhere (could potentially do
this for dev releases too if that's interesting).

Probably this is going to need a bit more thought, but I think it's
approximately correct and will be cleaner than supporting every version
of GNOME in the same master branch.

There's another wiki page that needs to be updated, btw:
https://wiki.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/MakingARelease. Note that it's
already very, very outdated and hard to follow just for jhbuild (at
least, I don't follow those steps in the order presented), so don't use
it to learn how we currently do things.

Interesting !

We should definitely update that page as we go along and document the
process.

Cheers,
    -Tristan