Re: Relicensing Nautilus to GPLv3+

Le mercredi 17 mai 2017 à 14:55 +0000, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
Le mer. 17 mai 2017 à 16:02, Ernestas Kulik <ernestask gnome org> a
écrit :
(Attempt no. 2, since Geary hates me)

Hi,

As the current licensing situation in Nautilus is quite
complicated, I
and Carlos are planning a move to relicense the entire codebase to
GPLv3+.

The codebase has files under several licenses: LGPLv2+, GPLv2+ and
GPLv3+, the latter implicitly making the project be licensed under
its
terms, so our options are quite limited here.

The situation wrt extensions is also not entirely clear, as the
extension library is LGPLv2+ with Nautilus being GPLv2+, which in
turn
disallows loading non-free extensions. Given the fact that it is
not
meant to be a generic mechanism for loading extensions, I feel like
relicensing it without much consideration is reasonable.

I know at least one proprietary extension  for Nautilus (integration
with Synology NAS product) and I'm not sure we should prevent
proprietary extensions to be used for Nautilus.

You can just mimic Totem exception clause. This is used to allow
proprietary GStreamer plugins.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/COPYING#n345

regards,
Nicolas