Re: Relicensing Nautilus to GPLv3+

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 16:20 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:

If nautilus is GPLv3+, that means we can't link it against GPLv2-only
or LGPLv2-only libraries in the extensions.

That’s fair.

I'm also not opening the
can of worms that is non-GPL-compatible dependencies of extensions
(such as proprietary, or patent-encumbered GStreamer plugins), because
that's an existing problem.

all I know, it always was.

What's the end goal for relicensing? What problems do the current
license cause that require a relicense?

The end goal here is to announce what has been the case since at least
two years ago (sans libnautilus-extension). We’ve got code that is
licensed under GPLv3+ and we’ve wanted to use code licensed under
GPLv3+, but, ironically, didn’t, because of these issues.

Having libnautilus-extension licensed under LGPL makes no sense if the
extensions have to be compatible with GPL when loaded.