Re: Release schedule change affects GSoC projects

Hi,

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 13:26 +0200, Carlos Soriano wrote:
I just noticed https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2017-Marc
h/msg00053.html, that changes Aug 18 to Aug 7 the UI freeze, that
means almost two weeks earlier.

The previous schedule (Aug 18) was already a little difficult for our
GSoC projects, since students have the official schedule until 29
August. So we were pushing in the last weeks to try to make the
merges as soon as possible, but relying on exceptions.

UI freeze has always been around this time plus one week (I'm not sure
where you take the "Aug 18" from - last year's freeze was August 15).

However, the new schedule makes very difficult to make UI projects
for GSoC and being included in the release, that as you might know
it's quite important for both the students to have their code in
master and for maintainers to have the projects in the release
itself.

Could it be possible to reeschedule one week more again (at least)?

I would not oppose moving "The Freeze" && 3.25.90 release to August
14th. I'd oppose making the entire release schedule (=3.26.0 release) a
week longer though, as distributions need to rely on plans.

If not, would be the release team open for UI exceptions late on the
freeze cycle for those projects doing GSoC?

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net