Re: gnome-online-accounts: Permission to update the Google icon

Hey Debarshi,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:01:13AM -0700, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> Did the requirements significantly change compared to the old icon?
> How did we solve this same issue back then?

As far as I am aware, we never did any legal review of the
icons. Maybe there are some established practices here that I am not
aware of? /me looks at jimmac

What we did do in the past was go through the terms of use of each
service provider before adding them to GNOME. This is what David
Zeuthen told me when he handed it over to me in early 2012. By then
Google was already there, and he was waiting for the legal review of
Facebook and Windows Live. Subsequently, I would contact Karen before
merging any new provider, and she would sometimes review it herself or
ask someone from SFLC to help.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer and that I'm expressing my own personal opinion, given this information I would just go ahead and update the icon, as our position with regards to Google would not change as a consequence of the update.

Of late, it has been hard to evoke much response from the board on
these matters (presumably they were overburdened with other stuff).

As an aside, if you still have unresolved issues that require the attention of the board, feel free to poke us! :-)

Cosimo