Re: m4-common

On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 08:37 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
kara,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 07:23, Philip Withnall wrote:
On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 16:13 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Would you mind updating the migration guide?
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeCommon/Migration

Done.

Great, thanks.

One (potential) negative is that this gets other .m4 files (pkg.m4,
gsettings.m4, etc.) included into the package as well.  This is slightly
silly because it's impossible to build the package without pkg-config or
GLib installed anyway, but at least this will cause the autogen process
from tarballs to be self-contained.... that's... maybe useful?

One thing it would definitely help with is cutting down on weird shell
syntax errors stemming from (for example) the gobject-introspection m4
being missing and autoconf just emitting the macro call directly to
./configure as a raw shell command.

That’s excellent. It potentially means we can remove the advice to add
AX_REQUIRE_DEFINED([YELP_HELP_INIT]) (etc.), since that’s now redundant
for tarball builds. For git builds, we could assume JHBuild will handle
this? That pattern is still useful for non-JHBuild git builds though, so
I’m on the fence.

I guess m4-common should also include a README which documents this,
plus the reason for m4-common existing as a way to centralise
downloading of the autoconf-archive macros we use.

OK.  Will do that.

Would it also be worthwhile adding a dist-hook which causes dist to fail
for m4-common, to make this really obvious?

Sure.  I can do that too.

Super, looking forward to it.

Philip