Re: 3.18 topics: application revival

On Sat, 2015-04-18 at 03:03 +0300, alex diavatis wrote:
We already mirror on GitHub (but I have not checked how clearly we
say
that it is just a mirror and if we point to

Github mirror is good enough to watch the changes on a project,

Well, that feels subjective and vague to me, so I could reply by
"https://git.gnome.org/browse/someprojectname/log/ is good enough to
watch changes on a project"...? Not constructive, I know.
But see past discussions in the desktop-devel mailing list archives in
Aug/Sep 2013 and Aug 2012 (and potentially foundation mailing list).

but since you can't report and follow bugs, isn't very helpful

We use GNOME Bugzilla for bugs. So far noone else has expressed interest
in using GitHub for issue tracking, as far as I know.
You can report and follow bugs on GNOME Bugzilla by creating an account.
Same (account creation) is required on GitHub, as far as I know.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers ). If you refer to entirely
moving
to GitHub: I dislike the idea of relying on closed source software.

"Dislike" isn't quite a reason ;)

"Dislike" might not, but "closed source software" is quite a reason. ;)
Again, see past discussions pointed out above.

Could you elaborate? What kind of "communication"?

Clearly GNOME gets most of the feedback from BGO.

And mailing lists and IRC. I think temporarily there were also forums,
but that's something that engagement could probably better answer.

 Even if you call an "annoyance" on Google+,
a common response will be, please file a bug. Bugzilla isn't designed
to play that role. It's only for developers.

Errm, is it? How is GitHub not?

Further more, what I'm telling is that projects on Github, with
smaller user base than GNOME, get more
feedback from more users.

You imply that we want to get more feedback. I would not agree. I'd
personally rather say I want to get more good & constructive feedback.
I don't believe that software development is a popularity contest.

Have more acceptance

I mean that you need to identify the reasons why people prefer to
contribute on new projects, or in projects
like elementary. For example, comparing the sizes of elementary and
GNOME, elementary attracts more
contributors for their apps than GNOME.

Do you have any numbers / resources? Would like to take a look.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net