Re: About current GNOME Wayland status and which would be the default for GNOME 3.12

Hi,

Taking into account last emails about pushing GNOME release due Wayland
[2], I think that is a good moment to raise a debate about Wayland
status. Probably the big question is "what would be the default for
GNOME 3.12?"

It will be X; even if we delay by a week it would only match a beta
release of wayland, with the required shell stuff just landed; that
will only work as a technological preview, there's still much to do
as far as I know.

Btw, this, and realted discussions during FOSDEM, makes me wonder if
delaying is really worth it, and it may just be easier to announce
that 3.12 wayland support will require Wayland 1.5, for which a beta
is scheduled to release "the week after".

And finally if the conclusion is that GNOME Wayland support is not
production ready, and X should be still the default, (obviously) it
would be needed to update the wiki page.

Indeed the wiki page should be updated to reflect the current status.

Also I am of the opinion that a "Wayland as default" would go through
the "proposed feature" process, as it's a major change that would
affect users and distributors in a major way.

        Fred