About current GNOME Wayland status and which would be the default for GNOME 3.12

Hi everybody,

Taking into account last emails about pushing GNOME release due Wayland
[2], I think that is a good moment to raise a debate about Wayland
status. Probably the big question is "what would be the default for
GNOME 3.12?"

Current roadmap ([1]) suggest that for GNOME 3.12 the default would be
Wayland, but it seems exactly the same text that when that page was
created, so I'm not sure if it is updated. Although I didn't test
Wayland environment for a while, what I know from other people testing
is that it is still not production ready. But as I didn't test by
myself, I can't be sure. Matthias is more over Wayland status. Could you
give us a summary of the situation? If not, someone to ask?

And finally if the conclusion is that GNOME Wayland support is not
production ready, and X should be still the default, (obviously) it
would be needed to update the wiki page.

Thanks, and best regards

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland#Proposed_roadmap
[2] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2014-January/msg00009.html

--