Re: Nautilus UI freeze break request

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 16:32 -0400, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
>
> > Docs team: This means somebody need to completely rewrite
> > nautilus-connect.page to:
> > 1) Describe how to write the URIs in general.
> > 2) List the available URI schemes and what they're for.
> > 3) Describe how to put details like username, port, folder,
> > etc. into the URL.
> >
> > Writing made-up URLs by hand seems like a trip back to 2001
> > to me. It does mean there's more to document. Who wants to
> > do it?
>
> To be honest, I don't think such a detailed level of information about
> what URIs are is required; I think what matters most is how you did
> get the URL you want to connect to in the first place:
> - if you configured a service like Samba yourself, you probably know
> already what is an URL, a port etc, and you have no problem typing it
> all (it's actually faster and less error-prone than finding the right
> service type and filling in all the fields)
> - if you got it from somewhere else (for example the documentation of
> your NAS, like in [1]), in the old dialog you would have to guess how
> to decompose the URL into the various controls in the dialog

If you get directions from a hosting service to upload files
with FTP/SFTP/SCP/etc, they're usually for a dedicated client
or using the command line. In either case, they don't usually
give a complete URL.

I use this feature to connect to master.gnome.org. I don't
know of a single page that gives me an ssh:// URL that I can
copy and paste.

At any rate, people probably aren't going to click Help when
they have a URL and know what to do. Our job is to provide
the information for the people who need it.

--
Shaun