Re: Using sqlite in Evolution/EDS

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 11:37 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mardi 20 mai 2008, à 14:18 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 09:46 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > > Just wondering, would it be possible to use libgda? See the discussion
> > > happening at
> > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-April/msg00084.html
> >
> > I definitely looked it, and had chat with Rodrigo as well. One thing
> > that I came to know is that, if I'm not looking for anything other than
> > sqlite as a option, then use sqlite itself. Also libgda has a copy of
> > sqlite inside it than a direct linkage. Good in some senses but
> > Evolution has  been traditional on that (libdb copy, libical copy) and I
> > definitely dont want one more (sqlite through libgda).
>
> Well, if I can believe the thread on ddl, it seems that libgda can use
> the system-wide sqlite if there's one and not use a copy.
>
> Now, if all people think that using sqlite directly is better, it can
> make sense to directly depend on sqlite. But I thought that the libgda
> API was more "useful" to us, since it's object-oriented.
>
> You should probably continue the thread that anjuta people started on
> ddl so we can reach a decision there.

Vincent, lemme summarize the discussion/chat I had with you, Rodrigo,
Michael Meeks. I'm looking for using ONLY sqlite and definitely not any
other DB as a fast file-cache.  Adding another layer would mean more
memory, performance, possible instability. Also, I heard, there aren't
much apps that use libgda, and I wouldn't be much favor of it, as you
all know, I don't want a contributor for existing instability issues of
Evolution, which we are already trying hard to resolve. Also, this layer
would be in the lowest of camel/mail level and any small issue on the
layer can lead to huge issues in mailer.

Also in mobile device sort of configuration, even a expose might trigger
a disk read, the summary served directly from db to the message list and
so I'm looking for a great performance. So given all the details, I
would like to have a direct dependency on sqlite than depending on
libgda for it.

-Srini