Re: Feature and string break request

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 16:50 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I recently commited the archive backend written by Benjamin Otte to gvfs
> svn. Its technically a feature freeze break, but not really as the
> feature is hidden and more or less impossible to use as is, and it
> doesn't affect anything else (its a separate binary after all).
>
> However, its a really really neat feature when integrated. Basically
> you'd click (or right click plus select the right menu item) on an
> archive and then you can access it read only from the mount. Much like
> how OSX handles dmg files, only it supports zip, tars, isos, etc.
>
> The integration (in its simplest form, suitable for 2.22) is just a
> non-visible (for the panel menus) desktop file listing the right
> mimetypes as supported that when used (by default on open, or from the
> open with submenu) mounts the archive you selected. [Patch attached]
>
> However, this patch adds one string, and breaks the feature freeze. But
> since this is an imho very useful feature, and is very unlikely to break
> anything else I'd still like to add it to gvfs for gnome 2.22.1. What do
> you think about this?

(Just my POV, as I'm not part of the release-team)
I think this is really a neat feature and I'd like to see this in for
2.22.1, but the current integration IMHO can bring some confusion to the
user, as it creates an archive icon on the Desktop with the same name
and extension of the mounted archive. This can lead to confusion
especially when the archive I'm browsing is on the Desktop itself, as
two identical icons would come up and only one of those is the "real"
archive.
My take is, if we want an icon on the desktop for the "mounted" archive,
to do this in a way similar to what OSX does for dmg, i.e. changing the
icon to something else that the user can recognize as a mounted volume
and set the display name to something different (cut the extension at
least). Otherwise on open we could just pop a Nautilus window inside the
root of the archive, without showing the mount on the Desktop.

Cheers,

Cosimo