Re: Request for Freeze Break - Evolution

Am Dienstag, den 26.02.2008, 05:39 -0700 schrieb Elijah Newren:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Sankar P <psankar novell com> wrote:
> >  On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 19:57 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> >  > We're one week away from hard code freeze and have no releases between
> >  > now and the final version (well, one coming out on Wednesday but it
> >  > may be too late to get the approvals and the new evolution out for
> >  > that one)...and you want to break the last three freezes?
> >
> >  The feature was implemented long back as a plugin.
> >
> >  But the problem with that was:
> >
> >  - User has to set an environment variable $EDITOR to use this plugin.
> >
> >  - This was not documented anywhere and when the user selects a menu
> >  item, it was not reporting any error message also.
> >
> >  The patch that I have attached at the bug provides GUI options via the
> >  plugin configure screen as attached in my previous mail.
> >
> >  The code to read contents of a file and set it in the composer is been
> >  around for a long time.
> >
> >  String and document changes have to be done. Radhika has agreed to
> >  document this before the release.
> >
> >  My worry on why this has to go through is : Because, the user will not
> >  know what is happening. And some distros ship experimental plugins as
> >  well.

the plugin can be moved to experimental again, and if distros ship
experimental, they should understand what "experimental" means.

> >  In case this is not approved, should the mentioning of this be dropped
> >  from Release Notes or from anywhere ?

yes.

> Okay, so the code does have a fair amount of testing;

...while the patch we discuss has not had enough testing. the new error
strings we discuss here are not even marked for translation (i don't
talk about listing them in POTFILES.in, i talk about the error files).
and for me it's too late to come up with this only one week before
hardcode freeze.

> I'm still uneasy
> about it, but it does sound like it might be the lesser of two evils.
> I'll give one of 2 approvals.

i won't give an approval on this. i prefer to move the plugin to
experimental and add a comment to the 2.22.0 release notes of evo so
distros can ship it if interested.

other r-t members might differ of course. :-)

so, current status: 1 of 2 approvals from i18n and 1 of 2 approvals
from r-t.

andre
--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed