Re: Request for Freeze Break - Evolution

Hi,

Sorry my mail POA had gone for a toss and hence a little late reply.

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 19:57 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Sankar P <psankar novell com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I have updated a plugin for Evolution - "external-editor"
> >
> >  Initially this was a experimental plugin and we had to move it to the
> >  standard list of plugins.
> >
> >  Hence, it involved some new UI Screens and strings (for error-message).
> >  The current version in trunk is bare-bones and lacks error messages and
> >  is unintuitive.
>
> We're one week away from hard code freeze and have no releases between
> now and the final version (well, one coming out on Wednesday but it
> may be too late to get the approvals and the new evolution out for
> that one)...and you want to break the last three freezes?

The feature was implemented long back as a plugin.

But the problem with that was:

- User has to set an environment variable $EDITOR to use this plugin.

- This was not documented anywhere and when the user selects a menu
item, it was not reporting any error message also.

The patch that I have attached at the bug provides GUI options via the
plugin configure screen as attached in my previous mail.

The code to read contents of a file and set it in the composer is been
around for a long time.

String and document changes have to be done. Radhika has agreed to
document this before the release.

My worry on why this has to go through is : Because, the user will not
know what is happening. And some distros ship experimental plugins as
well.

In case this is not approved, should the mentioning of this be dropped
from Release Notes or from anywhere ?