Re: Request for API/ABI breaks in glib/gio

Hi Alex,

Note that, technically, the release team doesn't have any control power
on glib. Nice to ask, though :-)

Le vendredi 22 février 2008, à 16:34 +0100, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> We have had two requests for API/ABI breaks in glib.
>
> The first one concerns g_uri_get_scheme. The webkit developers has plans
> to add a GUri object in glib, and g_uri_get_scheme (which takes a uri
> string and returns the scheme part) would conflict with the g_uri_
> namespace. Current proposal is to rename it to g_uri_parse_scheme.
>
> Current users of g_uri_get_scheme (that i could find) is one instance in
> nautilus and one instance in gvfs. This is imho a pretty safe update, as
> the gvfs/nautilus stack is pretty tied to changes in gio anyway, and
> nothing else seems to be affected.

Makes sense, yes. Don't ask me if the new name is fine, though ;-)

> The other one is g_file_contains_file(). This was deprecated in favour
> of a new identical functions called g_file_has_prefix() which betted
> describes what it does. We still carry a macro that defines
> g_file_contains_file to g_file_has_prefix, and a symbol for binary
> backwards compat. However, this has a few more users. One in evince, one
> in the panel, on in libgnomeui. (The uses in gvfs and nautilus has been
> changed.)
>
> Its kind of bad to have to keep this compat function forever, not being
> able to e.g. reuse that name for a better purpose. However, making this
> change requires changing a few other packages, which is slightly more
> problematic than the above. I'm not sure what the best approach is. What
> is the opinion of the release team?

Just get rid of it, we still have time to update the relevant modules.
Feel free to fix the panel. And I guess Kjartan would tell you to go
ahead with libgnomeui too.

Thanks,