Request for API/ABI breaks in glib/gio

We have had two requests for API/ABI breaks in glib.

The first one concerns g_uri_get_scheme. The webkit developers has plans
to add a GUri object in glib, and g_uri_get_scheme (which takes a uri
string and returns the scheme part) would conflict with the g_uri_
namespace. Current proposal is to rename it to g_uri_parse_scheme.

Current users of g_uri_get_scheme (that i could find) is one instance in
nautilus and one instance in gvfs. This is imho a pretty safe update, as
the gvfs/nautilus stack is pretty tied to changes in gio anyway, and
nothing else seems to be affected.

The other one is g_file_contains_file(). This was deprecated in favour
of a new identical functions called g_file_has_prefix() which betted
describes what it does. We still carry a macro that defines
g_file_contains_file to g_file_has_prefix, and a symbol for binary
backwards compat. However, this has a few more users. One in evince, one
in the panel, on in libgnomeui. (The uses in gvfs and nautilus has been
changed.)

Its kind of bad to have to keep this compat function forever, not being
able to e.g. reuse that name for a better purpose. However, making this
change requires changing a few other packages, which is slightly more
problematic than the above. I'm not sure what the best approach is. What
is the opinion of the release team?