Re: GNOME 2.23/2.24 - Schedule Proposals

Le samedi 09 février 2008, à 00:06 +0200, Lucas Rocha a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> 2008/2/8, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>:
> > Am Dienstag, den 05.02.2008, 16:21 +0200 schrieb Lucas Rocha:
> > > Here are three proposals for the GNOME 2.23/2.24 release schedule:
> > >
> > >   http://live.gnome.org/LucasRocha/TwoPointTwentythree
> > >
> > > Which one do you prefer? Comments? Additional proposals?
> >
> > i'm late, my 2 cents:
> >
> > i want to have api freeze on a monday *without* a release like for 2.21.
> > having a broken api and only 2 days to fix is worse than having a broken
> > api and 9 days to fix + many beta testers.
>
> In the scope of proposal 3, we could move the API/ABI freeze from week
> 21 to week 20 or 22. However, I still think we should try to associate
> all freezes with specific releases (expect for the hard code one) as
> much as we can. It's easier for maintainers to keep track of the
> freezes this way. I don't think they keep looking at the calendar very
> often. Maybe they (we?) should. :-P
>
> What do the others think?

Well, I'd disagree here :-)

If you put a freeze on a release date, you get people changing tons of
stuff just before a release, which will make a broken release.

It's just a matter of communicating when there's a freeze, and with
the new scripts (thanks Olav!), it's harder to forget to send the mail.