Re: Gnome 3 planes? Wiki?

Hi Mikkel,

Le mardi 26 août 2008, à 21:04 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen a écrit :
> Hail Oh Great Release Team,
>
> Gnome 2.30 is getting closer each day. Assuming that Gnome 3.0 is
> planned to contain some major new components we need to rally
> developers asap. All respect for the development pace of Gnome, but I
> honestly don't think 2 years is very long if we want a smooth
> no-regressions Gnome 3.0.
>
> As a spare time developer fighting to find every spare half hour it is
> frustrating to not know the future. I constantly find myself asking
> questions like - Will my work be obsolete in two years? Should I
> design or write code with some specific future things in mind? Are
> there other things more important to Gnome 3.0 than what I am doing
> now?
>
> This withheld anxiety is amplified by the unclear future of Gtk+ and
> is crippling my motivation. I don't know if I am the only person
> feeling like this, but I fear not. I am not asking for a detailed
> plan, just some notification now and then to tell me that Gnome 3.0 is
> not in limbo.

So. I really feel bad about all this (not because of your mail -- I
already felt bad before), and we've done a poor job around this, to say
the least. It's been quite some time since I've been wanting to find
time to explain the 3.0 proposal better.

Quick reply to your most important questions: what you're doing right
now will not be obsolete, and by no means you should stop working on it.
And there's no limbo, although I perfectly understand why people can get
this feeling.

I'll try to work on this in the next few days. Probably some informal
messaging first.