Re: Freeze break request: RANDR monitor labeling

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico novell com> wrote:
> Dear release team,
>
> Yesterday I mailed gnomecc-list about a few patches for gnome-desktop,
> gnome-settings-daemon, and gnome-control-center.  These implement
> color-coded labels so that you can identify which of your multiple
> monitors is being configured.  Sexy screenshots here:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~federico/news-2008-08.html#randr-monitor-labels
>
> (That post also links to the git repos with the patches).
>
> Is this acceptable for 2.23 given the freezes in place?  My lame
> arguments:
>
> - It's a sexy feature.
>
> - The tray icon was useless without support for monitor rotations,
> anyway (i.e. it didn't do anything at all).
>
> - It's a really sexy feature.
>
> There are a few string additions in gnome-settings-daemon.
>
> So, may I commit? :)

I'm in favour of taking this for 2.24, on the grounds that

a) this is really just completing the randr support feature, not an
entirely new feature
b) the statusicon is useless and annoying as it is now, this patch
makes it much better
c) it is indeed sexy stuff that can be nicely advertised in the 'whats
new in 2.24 ?' leaflet...