Re: PolicyKit deps

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 17:39 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Regarding
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentyone/ExternalDependencies
>
> I've not received a response for blessing these as soft deps [0] for
> GNOME 2.22 yet. Any chance they can be added. The original explanation
> is in
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2007-October/msg00237.html
>
> Work is being planned to make gdm [1] (check with William Jon McCann)
> and the new gvfs [2] (check with alexl) use this too.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> [0] : By "soft" dep I mean what I've described here
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2007-November/msg00274.html
> Maybe the answer is that "soft" deps don't even need to be on that list?
> If that's the case then ignore my request to add PolicyKit and
> PolicyKit-gnome to the list.. e.g. at this point I'm only proposing soft
> deps, not hard deps.
>
> [1] : For shutdown, reboot
>
> [2] : The idea is to make Nautilus and other vfs-apps do file ops
> outside e.g. $HOME

It is my understanding that soft deps are fine as long as software
already in the release set is not hobbled by not having those soft deps
available.  i.e. no deprecation of expected functionality in essence
making a soft dep a hard dep.  The list itself are approved dependencies
meaning they can be used as hard dependencies (but could be soft if
desired).

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>