Re: 2.20 schedule

Am Dienstag, den 06.03.2007, 14:58 +0100 schrieb Vincent Untz:
> Does anyone have some time to prepare a schedule for GNOME 2.19/2.20?

boy, this time it's really non-trivial. before doing this, i've dreamt
of having the api/abi freeze one week earlier so everybody has enough
time to fix build breaks. but reality can bite...

guadec is very late this year. i think everybody agrees that already
being under api/abi freeze at guadec would be a huge motivation killer
that definitely has to be avoided.

the other constraint is the opensuse 10.3 release which is planned for
the end of september (the final date is not fixed yet), and they would
love to include gnome 2.20 if possible.

so i've pushed back the api/abi freeze date to be after guadec, by
compressing the schedule at the end. this results in a pretty tight
schedule, means: perhaps having one release less (sched1), or having an
earlier 2.18.3 release (sched1&2) to lower the stress of the
maintainers.

i have three schedule proposals at
http://live.gnome.org/AndreKlapper/Sched1 (2.20 rel: sep 05)
http://live.gnome.org/AndreKlapper/Sched2 (2.20 rel: sep 12)
http://live.gnome.org/AndreKlapper/Sched3 (2.20 rel: sep 19).
please also see those pages for more info on the changes.

the proposal i'm in favour for is the second one. the definitely best
one is the last one, but i just don't know how much we want to care
about novell? (yes, i've asked them for info on how much time it approx.
takes them to patch and include gnome 2.20 into their release.)

i also wondered about the sense of having 2.even.3 releases, see [1].
if we would have a stricter policy on which patches are allowed to get
into the stable branch, we would probably get more distros back again
into shipping updated stable releases instead of backporting explicit
patches. this would also reduce the bugsquad workload and provide a
clearer bugreport feedback to identify the important issues.
vincent will pick up this issue in a seperate email (*poke*). ;-)

feedback, now!
andre

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2007-January/msg00000.html

--