Re: [Fwd: gnome-system-monitor 2.17.94]

tor, 01.03.2007 kl. 19.03 +0000, skrev Beno�Dejean:
> Le mercredi 28 f�ier 2007 �2:34 -0700, Elijah Newren a �it :
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > I'm sorry that this process upset you.  It looks like Kjartan
> > responded to most of your questions, but there was one he didn't
> > respond to that I thought might help everyone a bit.

> > > Is Mariano part of the release-team ? No.
> > > Has the release-team dared to email me to explain why they authorize
> > > this ? No.
> >
> > I wasn't involved with building this specific release, and wasn't
> > around when these changes were made.  But I think I understand what
> > happened from the thread so far.  Let me explain my take on the
> > situation:
> >
> > We probably should have emailed you earlier, yes, although I think
> > Kjartan's emails (even if they didn't come until after you brought the
> > issue up) do actually count as an explanation of why the release-team
> > authorized this.  Kjartan was handling this release, and as he
> > explained in his second email of this thread, the gnome-system-monitor
> > tarball didn't build with recent gnome-doc-utils.  He said he tried to
> > contact you, but couldn't get a hold of you immediately.  They were
> > *really* close to the due date for the release, and the fix was
> > simple, so Kjartan made the choice to fix it.
>
> OK.
>
> > I'm not sure how Kjartan's choice is wrong or bad; he was acting for
> > the release team since he was heading up the release and the choice
> > seems logical to me.  However, it did upset you and I'd really like to
> > avoid repeating that.  Do you have any suggestions for what we could
> > do or avoid in the future to get releases out on time while also
> > avoiding any problems like this?  Would just having Kjartan (or the
> > person from the release-team handling the given release) send you an
> > email when they take such an action, as you suggested earlier, be
> > enough?
>
> What happened exactly :
> On Wednesday night, i released .93 and logoff at about midnight CET.
> When i got up on Thursday, i found in my inbox a single mail from a
> stranger (to me) telling that he had released .94. As there was no
> explanation in the mail, I had a look at the svn diff and the comment I
> found was "added a description, to make g-d-u happy" which looks like a
> low priority fix. I went mad.
>
> You know what happened then. I had to ask about what was going on. I
> only understood what happened yesterday at 20H00 with the second email
> from Kjartan :
> "The tarball didn't build with the current version of gnome-doc-utils,
> which is why we wanted a working tarball in the beta."

Ok, noted for next time.

> It's OK for the release-team to do whatever they need, you don't need my
> approval. But please keep me informed.
> Next time, i would like to get :
> - an email
> - from the release-team
> - as soon as possible
> - about the problem
> - on who is going to fix it
> - how
> - when.
>
> "Hi, system-monitor .93 doesn't build with gnome-doc-utils x.x.x because
> of a missing item in the xml file. We needed a working tarball for the
> beta. As you were not reachable, Mariano has fixed system-monitor svn
> (revision xxx) and has released .94." would have been perfect.

Great. We will do that if this ever comes up again.

> About this breaking change in gnome-doc-utils, i was unaware of it.
> jhbuild doesn't pull gnome-doc-utils when building gnome-system-monitor.
> Maybe a bot/tinderbox building it in a fully updated env would have
> helped.

I think gnome-system-monitor should check for the new version in
configure maybe?

GNOME_DOC_INIT([min-version]), and REQUIRED_GNOME_DOC_UTILS=x.y.z in
autogen could work?

gucharmap uses this:

GNOME_DOC_INIT([0.9.0],[have_gdu=yes],[have_gdu=no])

if test "$have_gdu" = "no"; then
        AC_MSG_WARN([GNOME doc utils not found; disabling user manual])
fi

and then in topdir Makefile.am:

if HAVE_GNOME_DOC_UTILS
SUBDIRS += help