Re: Control center shell, panel and breaking compat

Matthias Clasen wrote:
On 1/23/07, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
So, I put 2.17.90 in rawhide over the last few days
and watched our Fedora menu layout break on the way.

It appears that the switch to using the cc shell by default in
upstream gnome broke the panel menu code for anybody who prefers
to stay with the previous submenu layout for the preferences menu.

I don't think that is acceptable from a compatibility point of view.

what do you mean exactly? that we should keep both the old submenu and
the new layout?

The layout is configuration that is not controlled by the panel, but by .menu
files that can and will be tweaked by users/distros. There is nothing
wrong with changing the default configuration shipped with control center.
But I did expect my FC6 menu configuration to keep working with the new panel.

I thought not breaking existing configurations was an explicit part of
staying within
the 2.x line.

I *think* the reason for this breakage is that we're waiting for a release of gnome-menus that includes a patch to fix it. I could be wrong.

-Thomas