Re: Requesting string change approval in gnome-utils

Hi Vincent,

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 11:11 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le dimanche 19 f�ier 2006 �1:05 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi a �it :

> > Anyway, as I said, the file that is causing the name clash is "stale",
> > and has been so since Gnome 2.0; I finally found the last working code
> > using a file for saving preferences: it's tagged for gnome-utils 1.4,
> > and it was created by GnomeConfig, before the preferences handling was
> > re-written to use GConf; after that, no code mentions such file.
> >
> > So we can safely assume that we can delete the file - unless someone has
> > created a file called "gnome-dictionary" inside $HOME/.gnome2; hence the
> > conservative approach.  I could rename the data directory to something
> > like "gnome-dictionary-2.0", but think of this as a way to sanitize
> > the .gnome2 directory. :-)
>
> The file comes from GNOME 2.x (it can't be in ~/.gnome2/ if it comes
> from gnome-utils 1.4). However, it only contained some bonoboui thing,
> IIRC (to configure the toolbar).

The toolbar has been gone since 2002, then. :-)

> Another solution is to rename the old file to gnome-dictionary.old
> (or .pre-2.14).

I've added another option to the message dialog: it now asks if it
should delete the file, rename it or close and let the user deal with
it.  The new patch is attached to the bug:

  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=59765&action=view

If no one complains, I'll commit it to HEAD this week; but I'd like it
to hit the already "frozen" gnome-2-14 branch too - and, please, I'd
like an answer before Friday, since I'm off to FOSDEM up until Monday
night, and I won't be able to do a gnome-utils release in time for the
deadline otherwise).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--