Re: Requesting string change approval in gnome-utils

Hi Vincent,

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:35 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 18 f�ier 2006 �5:54 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi a �it :

> > The patch attached to comment #10 of the bug report adds an error dialog
> > asking the user what to do (delete file or close), and another couple of
> > error dialogs; specifically, the most important addition is:
>
> Dumb question: isn't it simpler to just use another name now? We didn't
> yet release a stable version with this code, so changing the name now is
> not breaking anything...

People using Gnome from CVS (or Ubuntu Dapper) would not find their
custom dictionary sources anymore.  But, hey: things from HEAD break
sometimes. ;-)

Anyway, as I said, the file that is causing the name clash is "stale",
and has been so since Gnome 2.0; I finally found the last working code
using a file for saving preferences: it's tagged for gnome-utils 1.4,
and it was created by GnomeConfig, before the preferences handling was
re-written to use GConf; after that, no code mentions such file.

So we can safely assume that we can delete the file - unless someone has
created a file called "gnome-dictionary" inside $HOME/.gnome2; hence the
conservative approach.  I could rename the data directory to something
like "gnome-dictionary-2.0", but think of this as a way to sanitize
the .gnome2 directory. :-)

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--