Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:07 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > Oh, and after the last time we did this, the release team swore mighty
> > oaths to never depend on a released-close-to-gnome-schedule GTK again,
> > since it jeopardizes our release schedule for something that is less
> > tested than the rest of the stack and which in many cases isn't widely
> > used because developers haven't had time to integrate it. I suppose we
> > could reconsider that, but we did it the last time for the same reasons
> > Mark listed, more or less. As a result we had to delay our release and
> > (speaking with my QA hat on) after .0 we still had to track down several
> > issues in gtk that were caused by rushing out a component low-in-the-stack
> > with insufficient real-world testing.
> >
> > So, yeah, I'm pretty strongly against this, though I'm open to persuasion.
>
> Oh, and I thought I was the most vocal and conservative about this. :-)
>
> How stupid would it be to optionally depend on the new API goodies, so we
> have the chance to ship 2.6 if needs be?

I think that, given the r-t worries, it would be much better to not use
any new API goodies at all, as Christian suggested, so that we can
return to 2.6 if serious problems are found.

In the meanwhile, we can all use jhbuild and test it as much as
possible :)
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>