Re: libgnome-desktop API addition request

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:34:32 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Mark McLoughlin">
>
> > I think its worthwhile to get this in for 2.8. We understand the problem
> > here very well and its very, very unlikely to turn out to be the wrong
> > API. The patch itself is small and unlikely to cause regressions itself.
> > Also, libgnome-desktop is only used by a very small number of apps and
> > isn't part of the platform.
>
> This is worth it for the fix. It is quite disconcerting (and will cause huge
> bugzilla outcry) to have Nautilus windows opening up behind everything else,
> and so on.

This doesn't fix the problem with nautilus windows opening behind the
focus window.  This fixes the problem with applications that are
launched from nautilus being opened behind the focus window.

There are two problems that need to be fixed in order to get nautilus
windows to not appear behind the focus window: (1) The .desktop file
for launching nautilus needs to contain "StartupNotify=true", (2)
nautilus needs to handle startup-notification like gnome-terminal.
Doing -1- is easy and will fix the problem with nautilus appearing
behind the focus window, but will result in the busy cursor staying up
for about 15 seconds with an entry in the taskbar claiming that
nautilus is still being launched.  Doing -2- is harder and I easily
get lost in the nautilus codebase.

Elijah