Re: UI Freeze Breakage Request: Nautilus

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:56:58 +0100, Christian Neumair
<chris gnome-de org> wrote:

> I heavily rely on existing and extremely tested code (the nautilus drag
> data interface interface, that is).

Most patches do...

> Again, Nautilus people already accepted the patch and as you all know
> Alex is experienced enough to know what he is doing.

Yes, he is.  That's definitely a good point in favor.  That almost
tips the scales, and I wouldn't be surprised if others give you
approval.

> Why is this process that bureaucratic and exhausting for a simple dumb
> hacker like me? :/

Why do you think Alex asked you to handle this process instead of
doing it himself?  ;-)  The point of freezes is to stabilize things so
that hopefully only critical or otherwise really important changes get
made.  The only patch I've submitted before to the release team was
also something that was a very nice usability improvement and which
Havoc (who is also very experienced) had asked me to get approval
for--but it was likewise rejected and I think with sound reason.

This change you suggest may well qualify as a really important change,
but by no means is it critical (it's not a regression and not a
crasher).  Determining really important is a judgement call.  You only
need two release team approvals (i.e. only 25% of the team needs to
approve and the rest can even be against it).  Others may well agree
that this is really important (which would be perfectly
understandable).  I'm not quite convinced.

Hope that helps,
Elijah