Re: UI Freeze Breakage Request: Nautilus

Am Dienstag, den 22.02.2005, 16:13 +0100 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:51 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > I'd like to request approval for UI freeze breakage.
> > Description of the nautilus patch (from [1]):
> >
> > "After applying this patch, you should be able to drag any focused
> > folder's spatial window through it's location button located on the
> > bottom left of the window. It will allow you to move, copy or link the
> > dragged folder to any other folder, including the trash."
>
> This seems like a new feature to me, rather than just a UI break. But
> anyway, why can't this wait for GNOME 1.11/12?

Hrm, Nautilus maintainers think it is nice to have this in 2.10.
Follow-ups on usability and nautilus-list (see [1] follow-up from Luca
for instance) heavily appreciate this patch. It really seems to improve
user experience since it allows you to really operate on the open folder
instead of opening the parent folder first.
Maybe it's just me, but is there really any reason to reject this
(codewise terse) patch? Doesn't calling this a feature addition mean
breaking a butterfly on a wheel? This is just some simple drag handler
magic.

> > The patch to be applied is under [2] (with a slight change described in
> > [3]).
>
> Technically, we do like  you to test the actual patch before asking for
> approval.

How do you mean that? I wrote patch [1] and [2] myself, where [2] is a
heavily improved version of [1]. Both are been tested extensively by me.
By mentioning [3], I just wanted to point out that a little bit of the
code (a flag) will be changed in the final version.
Maybe the term "to be applied" wasn't clear enough. I should have said
"to be checked in".

I'd also like to point out that I was asked by Alex Larsson to handle
this process [3].

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>