Re: UI Freeze Breakage Request: Nautilus

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:45:26 +0100, Christian Neumair
<chris gnome-de org> wrote:

> How do you mean that? I wrote patch [1] and [2] myself, where [2] is a
> heavily improved version of [1]. Both are been tested extensively by me.

We naturally expect that you've heavily tested your own patches.  That
should always be done at any point in the release cycle.  I believe
Murray was asking more about how widely others have tested.  (Although
I heavily test my patches before committing, I frequently find that
someone else has a different use case that didn't occur to me and that
causes problems)

> By mentioning [3], I just wanted to point out that a little bit of the
> code (a flag) will be changed in the final version.
> Maybe the term "to be applied" wasn't clear enough. I should have said
> "to be checked in".
>
> I'd also like to point out that I was asked by Alex Larsson to handle
> this process [3].

"It also needs GDK_BUTTON2_MASK as martin pointed out. And I agree with
martin that we need to figure out some of the corner case behaviour.
However, it might be nice to get this into 2.10 as is, so we can at
least work in most cases. We can figure out the rest later.

Do you mind handling the release team freeze break request?"

Mention of corner cases sounds scary.  Especially when we're trying to
enforce stability and we're so close to hard code freeze (it may be
that the patch only makes things better while still not fixing
everything, but that's not totally clear and even if that's true it's
still a little scary).  While this patch does look /really nice/, I'd
rather not risk problems from this which could detract from other
showstopper bugs that may be reported or that already exist.  I'm
therefore leaning against approving it, but perhaps two others on the
team will approve it.

Elijah